skip to main content Terrence Higgins Trust

article page


trouble at home

I’m being abused, what can I do?

• If you are being sexually, physically or emotionally abused it is very important to get help.
• No-one has the right to treat you badly or make you do anything you feel is wrong.

If you are experiencing abuse within your family, it is really important that you talk to someone. Childline can be a good starting point but if you are in danger ring 999.

What is domestic violence?

• Domestic violence is when someone is treating their husband, wife, boyfriend, or girlfriend abusively.
• This might involve physical violence, sexual violence, or verbal or psychological abuse.
• If this is happening in your home it is serious and it’s important that you talk to someone. Childline can be a good starting point but if you are in danger ring 999.

If you have a question or you are unsure about anything then ask a Talksafe Counsellor or Peer Mentor.

Wellbeing quiz

How are you? Sometimes we forget to ask ourselves that question, and sometimes no-one else remembers to ask us. Take this quiz to see how you are doing.  

wellbeing quiz


SupportLine: Domestic violence

Young Minds: Abuse

ChildLine: Abuse and Safety

Last review: 25/09/11 - Next review: 31/09/17

Was this information useful? Please provide your feedback with 1 being the least useful and 5 being the most useful. Thank you.


Add your comment
  • Betty 18 August 2011 10:00 AM

    Slam dunkin like Shqaluile O'Neal, if he wrote informative articles.

  • Sara 01 September 2011 10:41 AM

    1time I slapped my bf when I was really angry and it scared me. I don't know why I did it but I don't want to do it again. What do I do? help.

  • Talksafe 01 September 2011 12:41 PM

    Hey Sara, a Talksafe Peer Mentor will reply to your comment soon.

  • Brodie, Peer Mentor 02 September 2011 10:41 AM

    Hey Sara, It would be worth having a think about what you were feeling when you did this and trying to find another solution for that feeling. Also, maybe think about how you would feel if it was your boyfriend that hit you. Talking to him about it and reassuring him it won't happen again is important, the fact that you're asking for help shows that you don't want this to happen again. I hope that answered your question :) If you would like to talk more to someone about what's going on for you, then you might want to have a chat to one of the Talksafe Counsellors? You can register online by clicking the button on the right or calling Talksafe on 020 7812 1770 and it's completely confidential. If you have another question please feel free to ask! Brodie, Peer Mentor aged 18

  • Rebecca 02 November 2011 05:52 PM

    Well everyday after school I get on the tram from Wimbledon Station and all the time this certain boy gets on from Rutlish, and I try to avoid him the best I can but he always seems to see me and when he finally actually sees me he starts fighting his way through the crowds of people just to get to me, one he's with me he's like Hey and then Start Calling me names like Slag, Slut, and how I've given head to so many boys that he knows but i haven't and either he's making this up or someone's telling him all this stuff. Today I got on the 118 and he was really annoying me as usual so in the end i gave up ignoring him which i do all the time, I lost it and started shouting, swearing and screaming at him threatening to beat him up and that if he didn't shut up talking all this crap and when i was getting off the bus he was like how my mother i a Slag and that just totally made me angrier so i started shouting back up to him that his mum was a Slag and now he's threatening to beat me up and all this if i don't stop doing all this stuff but the thing is i'm not doing anything wrong this is the first time since it started have i retaliated and i don't know what to do

  • indigospidermilady 26 February 2012 09:03 PM

    ^^^ I think maybe this guy either has feelings for you Rebecca and doesn't know how to deal with them, or has a serious problem and need for attention. Try telling your parents/guardian about this or maybe telling a friend or teacher and see whether you can be chaperoned. This is verbal abuse and you can take it to the police. :) x

  • Eloise 10 April 2012 12:55 PM

    I thtink the people that abuse others should get help too because there must be something wrong with there life if they can take it out on another human being.

  • Butik 16 October 2015 06:58 PM

    I appreciate the reemdnir that rather than complain when things change in unhappy ways, its right to be thankful that they did something well for so long, and look for the new opportunities to carry on that are given to us. This post was good to read today. Thanks!

Leave a Comment


Get 100 points for every comments you make (but don't abuse it).

Talksafe Heroes

See all


Recent Comments

  • Sex

    TheLesbianGal, Unfortunately, you can catch some STDs without having sex, so even though you're both virgins, either of you could actually have an STD. If you've both gotten tested recently, and are sure that there are no STDs nearby you should be fine :) But remember, never feel pressured into having sex unless you're both 100% comfortable and on board, and protection is Always the best plan! Hugs, Ben/Bella

    Ben/Bella, 07/11/2015 01:50:24
  • Sex

    Can you get an STD if your both virgins?

    TheLesbianGal, 30/10/2015 22:14:15

Terrence Higgins Trust uses cookies to improve your experience of our websites. For more information or to change the use of cookies, please click here.